Pebbles

 In November 2018 as an early Christmas present, Lizz got a pretty big gift from Christie and Ardicio. A six month old grade Appaloosa mare she named Pebbles. I would call them friends, but lets be real, they're family.  Not all family is blood.


 Christie in her wisdom gave this gift with two strings attached.  #1, Lizz was gifted two years of free boarding for Pebbles to give her the time Christie needed to teach Lizz how to break and train a horse, and #2 Lizz needed to sell Pebbles when she was ready, or pay back the $500 they paid for her.  Lizz at the time also had Ticki Ticki, a senior Columbian Paso (left) that was her right hand in the many hours of ponying that was done before Pebbles was ridden. 

Rylie brushing baby Pebbles.

This was during an era that included me "barn schooling" my children, Rob was out to sea over six months a year, and I truly raised my kids in that barn.  


This was also the era of Lizz being a part of our household, and Pebbles had several OG RF Tack halters, and reins. 


I got to watch these two girls grow up together, including Lizz teaching Pebbles how to drive.


We often logged long trail miles, and Lizz ponied Pebbles through many of them from Ticki.


All of a sudden, baby Pebbles wasn't a baby anymore.


Pebbles was almost 3 now, and completed the 120 mile Cracker Trail with Lizz.  On Thursday that week, Pebbles pulled the wagon for the entire day, including across the Kissimmiee River. I was riding shotgun with Lizz that day, and it is one of my very favorite Pebbles memories to date.


Cracker Trail that year was also transfer season for us.  We got word that we would be moving from Davie, FL where we had been for the past seven years while Rob did back to back tours on Fast Response Cutters, to the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  The next few months included us making huge moves (like living in our horse trailer for a year), and Lizz sold Pebbles to a great home out near Tampa. 

In December of 2023, we were spending Christmas with our Florida family, Christie and Ardicio, and Lizz came home to visit.  I mentioned I was wondering how Pebbles was, I had always regretted missing my opportunity to make her a part of our family.  She put me in touch with the woman who bought her, and 24 hours later, about 9 hours hauling, Pebbles was a Fail family member.  Merry Christmas to us!


Did I mention, Pebbles hadn't been ridden even once in those two and a half years? She was a happy to go on adventures and before long, she's a horse I can lend to friends who come to visit.

Jennifer on Pebbles in Uwharrie May 2024

My mom came to visit in April, and I even got to take her for a spin, thanks to Pebbles and her trustworthiness. 


I can't quite explain how much we love our Pebbles. She will be with us forever and always, and I can't wait to see what adventures we take next.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

English Fitted Pad Tutorial

Australian Light Horse Set - Part 1

RF Tack Trailer